The Runbook Tester enables you to simulate the most steps of Orchestrator Workflows.
However, some functionality is not the same in, or is absent from the Runbook Tester.
Before I list the differences I want to explain the important aspects in architecture here:
System Center 2012 (SP1) Orchestrator is designed to execute the checked in Runbooks with "Orchestrator Runbook Service".
But, if you start a Runbook with Runbook Tester
- it is not executed with "Orchestrator Runbook Service".
- it must be checked out.
- it is executed with the account running Runbook Designer / Runbook Tester.
- it is executed on the system running Runbook Designer / Runbook Tester.
Therefore we have a list of items which function differently in Runbook Tester:
- All Standard Activities like "Run .Net Script", "Run Program" or Activities from categories "File Management" and "Text File Management" are executed with the user account which started Runbook Designer / Runbook Tester. This account may have other permissions than the logon account of "Orchestrator Runbook Service".
- All Actives are executed on the system running Runbook Designer / Runbook Tester and not on the system "Orchestrator Runbook Service". If this are different system there may be different Firewall settings or access permissions.
- In tab "Security" you can specify alternate credentials in the most Standard Activities. The Activities may fail if the user running Runbook Tester has not the permission to impersonate the user.
- The "Invoke Runbook" Activity will fail if the Runbook that should be invoked is also checked out (behavior in System Center 2012 SP1 Orchestrator).
- The Counter values are not saved into the Datastore and the original Counters are unaffected by execution with Runbook Tester.
- The "Send Platform Event" Activity will execute in the Runbook Tester, but it will not write an event in tab "Events".
- The Instance of the "Runbook" executed in Runbook Tester will not be saved in "Log History" of the Runbook.
Before you transfer a Runbook to production make sure that it is executed with "Orchestrator Runbook Service" as you expect:
- If you need to pass values to the "Initialize Data" Activity you can start the Runbook with "Orchestration Console".
- Turn on Logging in the Properties of the Runbook to see in in Log and Log History the Activity specific and common Data for each executed Activity.
- Disable the Activities you don’t want to test temporarily.